From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Students

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Action is the Main Attraction

by Cody Kaemingk

We’ve been in Chicago one month. Wow. It is honestly flying by and I laugh when I think just how much all of our lives have changed in just a month. Just a little bit ago most of us were on our college campuses as seniors - big fish in small ponds. Now our roles are opposite. To quote the great urban philosopher Drake, we are starting from the bottom, working our way up in our respective careers. After being in school the majority of my life it’s a refreshing change that I looked forward to, but at the same time it’s like jumping off a cliff and not knowing what to expect below.

My internship started with a difficult choice between three great opportunities that all appealed to me for different reasons, but in the end I decided to intern at eshots, Inc. They specialize in collecting marketing data (to put it simply) and I can already see myself growing in my professional marketing and project management skills, which is exactly what I came to Chicago to achieve. The office environment is relaxed but there are so many dedicated smart people here that the learning opportunities are endless. One thing I haven’t mentioned yet is the amazing location! Our building is located on the corner of E. Wacker and Wabash, right on the Chicago River across from Trump Tower. For those interested in action movies, this building starred in the movies Batman Begins and Transformers 3. 

Other than working, we have certainly had time to see more of the city. For our Diversity and Inequality class we ventured to the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago where some of the other CSers live. Here we were able to see some crazy cool murals from local artists and learn about the history of the neighborhood and the people that live there. Afterwards a group of us went and found a great authentic Mexican restaurant and socialized while having some great food. I’m looking forward to all the different places we’re going to get to explore and learn about through this class. Chicago is a city with all spectrums of people and learning about how all of this came to be and how it fits into the greater American picture is very interesting. This will also help me fulfill one of the activities on my Chicago bucket list – get authentic food from at least 10 different ethnic neighborhoods. 

We were also able to attend a production of Alice at the Looking Glass Theater, which was in one of the few buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. It’s a building with a lot of history and the show greatly exceeded my expectations. I often caught myself wondering whether it was at a play or an acrobatics show. I have to admit that I often don’t give the arts as much of a look as I should, but because I knew Chicago had some world-class art, I signed up to do the art events and I’m so glad I did! I have no eye for art whatsoever, but while I’m in the city I figured I might as well check out some of the art that people travel the world to come see – and it’s so much cheaper than if I were to do them on my own. We have seen a play, gone to the Art Institute of Chicago, and are heading to a ballet this week; three things you wouldn’t have caught me doing before I came to Chicago.

I found out this week that I’ll get to be a representative of the company I’m interning for at the Chicago Auto Show, so I’m sure the next update will be full of some great happenings there, as well as some sweet car pics. Now I’m off to have another action-packed weekend in Chicago! 

No comments:

Post a Comment